What are Dental Implants?
Losing teeth does not only affect a person’s appearance and self-confidence but also their ability to perform natural functions like talking and eating. Dental implants can offer a permanent solution to many problems, as they provide a strong foundation for permanent (fixed) replacement teeth. They are designed to mimic natural teeth.
The dental implant is a screw-like device that is inserted into the jawbone. Thereafter, it serves as an anchor for the false tooth, known as the crown. This crown is custom-made to match the color of a person’s natural teeth. The artificial tooth is connected to the dental implant using a device called an abutment. Since dental implants are made of titanium, they fuse with jawbone securely, which prevents them from slipping or causing bone damage.
When do you qualify for dental implant surgery?
You can consider going in for a dental implant surgery if –
- One or more of your teeth are missing.
- You are unwilling or unable to wear dentures.
- You wish to improve your speech.
- Your jawbone has reached its full growth.
- You have the adequate bone density to secure the implants.
- Your oral tissues are healthy.
- You don’t have any conditions that might affect healing.
- Possess the willingness to commit several months to the process.
How are dental implants better than dentures?
Dental implants are known to provide fantastic stability to patients as compared to dentures. Following are some ways in which dental implants are a better alternative to dentures –
- More comfortable and natural.
- Improves the chewing function as it gives a better biting pressure.
- Lower risk of cavity development in the nearby teeth.
- Provides better maintenance of tooth at the site of the missing tooth.
- Decreases the sensitivity in the nearby teeth.
- Reduces the problems of ulcers and irritation that are generally experienced by denture wearers.
- No need to take them out and clean every night.
- Has a higher success rate.
Is dental implant surgery safe?
Advantages of Getting Dental Implants
If you are considering getting dental implants, you can benefit from the following –
1. Improved appearance: Since dental implants feel and look like your natural teeth, they can help in markedly enhancing your appearance.
2. Better speech: Dentures can often cause you to slur or mumble your words. With dental implants, however, you will be able to speak more clearly.
3. Improved comfort: Dental implants are designed to fuse with the jawbone, which makes them a permanent solution. You do not experience any kind of discomfort which is usually associated with a denture.
4. Makes eating easier: Dental implants essentially work like your natural teeth, which makes it easier to eat your favourite food without pain.
5. Better oral health: Since there are no alterations done to the nearby teeth to support the implant, most of your original teeth are left intact. This helps in improving your oral health in the long term. Individual implants also make it easier to clean between the teeth, thereby improving oral hygiene.