What is involved in cosmetic dentistry?
Everyone wants to have an attractive smile. However, many people feel hesitant in smiling openly because of uneven gums, yellowing or missing teeth, or even gaps in the teeth. Cosmetic dentistry helps in fixing these issues by achieving harmony (same heights, same colouring) and symmetry. This is commonly done by –
- Adding dental material to gums or teeth. This can consist of veneers, gum grafts, crowns, and bonding.
- Removing the gum tissue (gingivectomy) or the structure of the tooth (enameloplasty).
- Teeth straightening along with improvements in the appearance of the face.
Some of the procedures in cosmetic dentistry are also done to provide some restorative benefits. While most of them are fairly simple, some other procedures can be complex and have to be executed with specialized care.
Common Procedures in Cosmetic Dentistry
Here are some common procedures you can consider for enhancing your smile –
1. Teeth Whitening: This procedure can help in whitening and brightening your teeth if they are stained or discoloured. A dentist will help you determine if this is something you should consider getting done.
2. Cosmetic Veneers: Dental veneers are custom-made shells made of composite material or porcelain. They are usually cemented to the front of the tooth to treat chipped, crooked, and even discoloured teeth.
3. Cosmetic crowns: The crowns are also known as caps, and they are also custom-made to be fitted over a tooth. They can be made of acrylic or porcelain, and are often used to treat decayed, chipped, broken, or poorly shaped teeth.
4. Cosmetic dental implants: A dental implant is added to replace missing teeth. It is usually made from titanium and added to the part of the jawbone where a tooth is missing. Thereafter, an artificial teeth bridge, crown, or dentures can be anchored to it.
5. Enamel shaping: This is the cosmetic shaping of teeth, in which the dentist adds or removes a part of the enamel.
6. Cosmetic bonding: In this procedure, coloured materials are bonded to teeth that are chipped, broken, or badly stained.
Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
Here are some of the benefits of undergoing any of the cosmetic dental procedures –
1. Enhances the appearance: A cosmetic dental procedure can help you in aligning the natural appearance of your face with the appearance you desire. It will help in improving your facial expressions, which will ultimately affect your overall personality.
2. Gives you more confidence: A cosmetic dental procedure can help in boosting your confidence immensely, especially if you feel too hesitant in smiling and laughing with people. Cosmetic dentistry can improve missing, crooked, and decayed teeth so that people can feel more comfortable.
3. Better functionality: Certain cosmetic procedures have practical benefits too. They can help you in biting and eating food. This is because missing teeth can often cause difficulty in chewing, while misaligned teeth can cause problems in biting food.
4. Healthy teeth: Cosmetic dental treatments can also help in preventing any future damage to the tooth structure. Many procedures help in strengthening the weak teeth, which can reduce any chances of damage in the future.
5. Better smile: When you go for a cosmetic dental procedure, think of it as an investment in your youthfulness and beauty. They can help in correcting all types of dental defects. At the end of the procedure, you will be left with a perfect smile.
6. Less downtime: Many procedures in cosmetic dentistry take little to no time in healing, with the recovery time being just a few days at the maximum. Cosmetic dental procedures are not very painful either.
7. Permanent results: These cosmetic procedures are designed to last for a long time if you follow the aftercare instructions given by the dentists. It is a win-win situation, as it will certainly help you save money in the long run.